Thursday, November 15, 2012

MANNA: 11/14/12


QUICK....WHAT IS THE ANTIDOTE FOR FEAR?

If you said FAITH, you are probably a Lutheran.....and you've probably heard more than a few sermons on the topic

But....read 1 John 4:18
"Perfect love casts out fear"

The presidential election has been over for a week, but the pundits are still stoking the fires of fear as if it's the end of the world.  This is not a political shot at the conservative media, because if the results of the election had gone the other way I have no doubt that the liberal media would be doing the same thing.  This is not to discredit the anxiousness about the future that is very real among all of us in this country for a variety of reasons.

My son is six years old.  I am constantly struck by theological truths brought to life in the practical matters of  my relationship with him, and him with me.   As a matter of fact, I would have to say the theology I'm learning from my son rivals that which I learned in four years of seminary.  My son is afraid of one thing: spiders.  That's it....spiders.  Nothing else.  Not even roller coasters, or the dark.  But, here's my point.  At his age, he is supposed to be afraid of spiders.  It occurs to me that he is fearless, and oblivious of the things that I'm afraid of.   I'm anxious over real world stuff, just like everyone else, and I assume even you.  But, my son, the six year old...fearless of these things.  Interesting, when you think about it.  He's able to be fearless, even naive and oblivious of these adult fears because of one thing that he knows and trusts will not let him down...me.  

My love for him is far from perfect.  I can't count how often I lose patience with him, misunderstand him, or just plain blow it as a dad.  But, even my imperfect love for him, is enough to cast out his fears.  This makes him free to be his truest self around me.  Think back to a time when you lost yourself in a project, or a moment of time with your spouse or kids...I mean really lost your self.  Do you remember how free you felt to just be the person God made you to be in those moments?  Those are moments when the love from the person you're with or the project you're into allowed that moment of grace and freedom to truly be who God made you to be, free from the usual fear of rejection and and failure.

God's perfect love for you is like the love of a Father who protects you and cares for you.
God's perfect love for you is also like the love of a spouse or friend who frees you to be the real you.

No matter what the future holds, believe and trust in the God who holds your future.

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, I'm afraid of ___________________________________________.
Remain with me, and carry me through the days ahead.  Remind me that, with you, I have nothing to fear, for you are God, and you are my God.  In Jesus' name.  Amen


No comments:

Pastor Rich

Pastor Rich