Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Jude 24


While on vacation in San Antonio my son, wife and I did a lot of walking together.  San Antonio offers tourists one of the most magnificent sites to walk.  It's their River Walk.  Miles of river front sidewalks filled with shops and restaurants, river boats ducks, palm trees and the serenity of the river.  It's beautiful.

During one of our walks, my son (7 years old), was a bit more focused on the ice cream in his hand than on the path before his feet.  His toe caught the edge of a bit of uneven paving, and down he went, with ice cream everywhere.  He wasn't hurt, except for the loss of his ice cream.  But, it was one of those scenes that replays over and over in my head.  I can see my son walking, unaware of the pavement edge sticking up just ahead of him.  Before he stumbles I know he's about to be tripped up, but I have no time to react.  He falls, and I am unable to even warn him of what I saw coming.  

Sometimes isn't that the way life is? 

We know our weaknesses.  We know what causes us to stumble.  Someone invites us to try something new, or gives us a great idea with proven success, and all we can see are the points along the way that will trip us up.  

Jude tells us that God is able to keep us from stumbling.  

Think about that...God IS able to keep us from stumbling.  We may not be able to keep ourselves from stumbling, but God IS.  

As disciples of Christ, Jesus is the one guiding us along our pathway through life.  Jesus is walking in front of us.  He knows the trouble, the temptation, the stumbling points.  Follow His lead.

Lord keep me from stumbling.  You know me better than I know myself.  You know my weaknesses, my temptations.  Strengthen me to stay the course you have put me on.  That success in life is really about following you.  Amen!


No comments:

Pastor Rich

Pastor Rich