Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Psalm 100:2



I am one of the greatest singers I know...
                                                          when I'm alone...
                                                                                and in the car.

Honestly, catch me driving down the road by myself and I am either listening to some sort of talk radio, or I am SINGIN'!

Are you like me?
In secret, when no one is around to judge you, are you the best singer you've ever heard?

I've always been like this.  As long as I can remember.

My favorite music to sing is either Contemporary Christian, Country, or Classic Rock.  However, Country and Rock go back a bit further with me than Contemporary Christian. I was well into my 20s before a CD of Contemporary Christian broke into my glove box collection.  The first one to do so with any kind of serious standing among the Garth Brooks, Van Halen and John Cougar was Steven Curtis Chapman.  His Signs of Life quickly became a favorite of mine.  There was one particular song that really grabbed my attention, Lord of the Dance.  The song featured Steven rockin' a steel guitar, and the band offering a gutsy rock feel that seemed to cross the boundary between the usual sentimental sap of contemporary Christian of that day and the soul of the other music I appreciated.  I'd put this in and I would sing out loud...no, I would turn it up and I would jam.  But, it wasn't just the music that grabbed my attention, it was the lyrics like these in the refrain:
I am the heart, I need the heartbeat 
I am the eyes, I need the sight 
I realize that I am just a body 
I need the life 
I move my feet, I go through the motions 
But who'll give purpose to chance 
I am the dancer 
I need the Lord of the dance

Watch the song's video below, or click HERE to watch on Youtube.

The Psalmist declares, "Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into His presence with singing!"  This is how I feel when I'm singing "Lord of the Dance".  The only thing missing is a congregation to join me.  Imagine what our worship experience would be like if on Sundays our churches were to sing as if we were alone in the car?  Wow!!  But, then again, the reasons that make us the best singers we've ever heard in the privacy of our cars are the same reasons that prohibit us from singing like this in church.  It's not our favorite musical selections, and we're not in private.  Still, it is worth imagining...because this, according to Scripture, is a glimpse of what Heaven will be like.  All of us singing together...no, not like the way we do now in church...I mean we'll be cranking it up, and jammin' with fearlessness alongside the angels.  Not with the rebelliousness and chaos of a concert, but with the reverence and ritual of worship.

So, jam on in the privacy of your car, and loosen up a bit in church.  You're coming into the presence of the Lord.  Think of it as rehearsal for eternal life.  :-)

Heavenly Father, I am the voice but you are the song.  Today, help me to allow my life to sing!  Amen


No comments:

Pastor Rich

Pastor Rich