Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Morning Devotions: 3/12/10

Genesis 29-30

Sibling rivalries and power struggles mark the theme of this text. Beginning with the struggle for power between Jacob and Esau, then the sibling rivalry between Rachel and Leah, and finally the power struggle between Jacob and Laban. Back and forth the flow of power moves as each opposing side schemes and contrives to find new ways to outdo their rival. The competition for power and control will carry into the next generation as well, where the sons of Jacob will plot to kill their rival Joseph.

If we listen closely to this text, there is one thing we do not hear; one thing that has gone silent. It is the voice of God. Nowhere do we hear the characters call upon the Lord for guidance or support. Consequently, nowhere do we hear of God's intervention. And, consequently, the behaviors of these biblical characters is about is far from ideal that we can imagine. From dishonest business deals between Laban and Jacob, to brother's plotting to kill brothers, to women competing over who can have the most babies, to Jacob yielding to the Canaanite tradition of Polygamy this text is filled with misguided sinful attempts to live without regard to God's divine authority.

Imagine.... What might have been different about this text if any of these characters would have stopped just for one moment of prayer and asked for God to help and guide them before they reacted to their circumstances purely of their own perceived authority?

Our lives, our families, our work environments are not any different. Consider the flow of power and control within the dynamics of people all around you. Consider the people with whom you compete for power. Consider the list of mistakes you've made, the people you've offended, the times when you've gone too far. Imagine...what might have been different if you had paused for a moment of prayer and asked for God's help and guidance before you reacted to the circumstances purely out of your perceived authority?

Fortunately, God does not enter into our dynamics of power and control. God does not compete with us, and therefore we cannot compete with Him. God is in control of all things, and therefore is able to be our rock in times of trouble, our strength when times are weak. He is able to bring justice to those who push us too far. He is able to differentiate Himself from the perceived power of people, and the real power which is His and only His. Jesus broke the cycle of power by dying to the sinful misuse of power. In doing so, he brings to us the gift of forgiveness, grace sufficient enough for us to let go of our desire for power over others.

Lord God, thank you for dying for me. Thank you for all the times you have helped me and guided me, and been there for me as my rock in troubled times. Thank you for never forgetting me, even when I've gone off on my own away from you. As I go about my day, let me see with clear and open eyes the truth behind all of the power struggles that tempt me to betray my trust in you. Let me look upon others with the same forgiveness and grace that you look upon me from the cross. Give me grace sufficient enough to let go of my desire to win and secure power over others, and give me moments to pause and seek your help and guidance before I react. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Pastor Rich

Pastor Rich