Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Morning Devotions: 4/14/10

Exodus chapters 25-27

This morning, as I was reading today's selected bible chapters, my son woke up a little earlier than usual. I was sitting in my favorite reading chair, and he came and crawled up into my lap. Yawning and rubbing his eyes he made himself comfortable while asking a long list of questions about what I was doing. What a joyful distraction it was to have him in my lap while I attempted to devote some time to God in prayer.

Today's reading is a long list of rules and limitations that God establishes in an effort to create a safe place for his people to be able to approach Him, and for God to be able to dwell among His people. The tabernacle is essentially a means by which this accomplished. God comes down from heaven to establish His kingdom on earth, among us. However, at this point in the bible story the holiness of God must be kept safely guarded from the ungodliness of people. The Tabernacle allows God to dwell among His people, but only within the Tabernacle, and the people may approach God, but only through the mediation of the priesthood. God cannot actually be among His people, but the Tabernacle is a big step toward that end, and it brings God down from Heaven to be among His people for the first time in a very unique way. The Tabernacle is a major step toward understanding the gift of Holy Communion given to us through Jesus.

With Jesus, we have direct access to God. Jesus' forgiveness of our sins allows us to approach God like my son approached me this morning. This is why Jesus teaches us to pray, "Our Father, who is in Heaven...." Only Jesus can refer to God in such intimate terms. The actual word used in the gospels in the context of the Lord's prayer is Abba. The literal interpretation of Abba is daddy. Our traditional interpretation is "Father", but this is actually a bit more formal than Jesus offered. Abba is more intimate, personal. It's my son climbing into my arms, saying, "Daddy". All of the work and specifics that God put into the building of the Tabernacle is a foreshadowing of the intimacy in Christ which God wants to share with His people. But, for us, we already have Christ, we are privileged to be able to run to God and climb into His arms anytime we wish. Even more, God desires that we do just that.

Has it been a while since you climbed into the arms of God?
Prayer, worship, and even this devotion you're reading now are ways in which you can do just that.

Heavenly Father, Abba, I am just a child in your arms. I need to trust you for everything. When I am vulnerable, shelter me. When I am weak, strengthen me. When I am frightened, comfort me. When I am guilty, forgive me. When I am hungry, feed me. I am yours, Abba, save me. In Jesus' name. Amen

No comments:

Pastor Rich

Pastor Rich