Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Morning Devotions: 4/18/10

Exodus chapter 33

What was the last big mistake that you made?
Who was hurt?
What did you learn from it?

Israel made a terrible mistake. God's first commandment is that they have no other gods before Him. Then, they lose patience and make for themselves a golden calf that they bow before and worship. God is hurt, and He is furious. Moses intercedes for Israel in a compassionate prayer to God. God remembers that He isn't finished with Israel yet. They have much to learn, but He has promised to remain faithful to them and to direct them to the promised land. God keeps his promise and returns to gide them to the promised land.

Because of Jesus, God has promised all his baptized children that we will one day enter the eternal kingdom of heaven. We struggle every day with tendencies to make mistakes. Some mistakes we aren't even aware of. We are not worthy of the gift of heaven, yet God promises to give it as a result of Jesus' love for us. God remains faithful with us. He is faithful that we will learn from our mistakes. God is also faithful that, because of Jesus' love for us, we will begin to see how precious we are in God's sight.

God isn't finished with you yet. Remember that!
When you mess things up: "God isn't finished with me yet."
When you hurt others by your sinful actions, and you're down on yourself: "God isn't finished with me yet."
When people try to bring you down with their self-righteous, judgment: "God isn't finished with me yet."

Lord God, your work with me is never finished, and you remain faithful that I will learn and grow from every mistake. Thank you, Lord, for your grace. You do not ask me to be perfect in anything, so make me faithful through everything. Remind me that even though I am a work in progress, I am YOUR work in progress and that's all that matters. In Jesus' name. Amen

No comments:

Pastor Rich

Pastor Rich