Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Lamentations 3:22-23


Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with thee;
Thou changest not, thy compassions, they fail not;
As thou hast been, thou forever wilt be.
Great is thy faithfulness! Great is thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed thy hand hath provided;
Great is thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!


I have always been able to count on my parents for help.  It never really mattered what kind of trouble I might get myself into they were always available, accessible, and willing to help.  Sometimes the bigger problem was bringing myself to the point of swallowing my pride to ask them for help.  Once, I think I was about 19 years old, my car broke down on my way to college.  I was hours from home, and in the middle of nowhere with nothing but the West Virginia mountains all around.  I was scared, unsure of myself or what to do.  So, I did what came naturally, what I would always do when I was in trouble.  I walked a few miles to the next exit off the highway (wow, cell phones have changed the world since then.), found a pay phone and called home.  I'll never forget how comforting it felt to hear my dad say, "Son, your mom and I are on our way."  

The lyrics of the beloved hymn Great Is Thy Faithfulness were written by Thomas Chisholm in 1923. 
For a brief time Chisholm served as a Methodist minister, but was forced to retire early due to ill health.  When he penned these inspiring words he was in trouble.  He was very ill. Echoing Lamentations 3:22-23 he wrote the lyrics that have ever since reminded us, each time we sing it, that we have a Heavenly Father in whom we can always count on for help.  God is always accessible, and our Heavenly Father comforts us with His promise to be there with us each time we pray.  

Heavenly Father, your faithfulness never fails me.  Help me to be faithful to my family, with your faithfulness as my guide.  In Jesus' name.  Amen.

 Click the link below to read more about the history of this hymn.

No comments:

Pastor Rich

Pastor Rich