Friday, February 28, 2014

2 Peter 1:4


Twitter was buzzing this week about a bus driver who was shot twice in the chest, but survived because the Bible he kept in his pocket stopped the bullets.   To read the article click here.  My first, almost instinctual, reaction was to pump my fist and Tweet the reply, "YOUR MOVE ATHEISTS!"  But then, as if minions were summoned from somewhere deep within my brain to stop me, my awareness of bad theology jumped to the foreground of my thoughts and I resisted that first impulse to Tweet something stupid.

Then, I read this morning's Bible verse and remembered how I used to carry around a pocket Bible myself.  Although, it wasn't actually a Bible, it was called a Bible Promise Book.   It was leather bound, and just the right size to slide into your pocket.  In it was page after page of Biblical quotes of God promising things to His people.   A Christian friend who had promised to pray for me through a tough time gave it to me as gift, and I decided to keep it with me, in my pocket.  I would open it and read a verse or two several times each day.  In time, this little pocket Bible of mine became a close friend and companion.  When I was down, a verse would lift me up.  When I needed a little encouragement, a verse or two would nudge me forward.  I would pray just by reading a verse and then repeating it silently.  I still have this book.  It's a precious keepsake of mine.  It helped me get through a really tough time.

Ok, so my little Bible Promises book didn't save me from bullets to the chest.  But, I can tell you that those promises from God did save my life, my soul, in ways that are too deep to describe.  That period of time for me was a crucible moment in my life.   God's promises saved me and brought me to a positive place  from which I was now confident enough in my faith to take seriously the call to ordained ministry.  As I sit here in my church office, and consider who I am today, I am thankful for those promises.

In today's Bible verse Peter says that God's promises were made so that we would be encouraged and strengthened to follow Christ.  (I'm paraphrasing slightly for simplicity sake.) To use an analogy, these promises are like a deep keel on a boat.  They keep us upright, centered on God, no matter how strong the storm may blow.

Whatever life may throw at you, from bullets to storms, God keeps his promises.  God will carry you through.  God will love you unconditionally.  God will help defeat enemies and overcome obstacles.   God is always with you.  God's promises are the rock beneath your feet some days, and wind within your sails on others.  Trust them.  Rely on them.  They will save your life.

Heavenly Father, your promises are my strength and my hope.  Thank you!

No comments:

Pastor Rich

Pastor Rich